Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) XP Printer advice.
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 17:12:55 -0400
Some more useless tidbits of advice for Chuck....

Or if you do use static routes, which I do all the time, I set them up in the
router. (some times referred to as pre assigned DHCP addresses).
If you did set up a static route in the router, you basically assign an
IP address to the mac address of the machine. You still use DHCP in the
computers, but you always get the same IP address from the router. If
you did that, you could also try adding the route to the hosts file located in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

....but you are saying that ping resolves the computer names to the
correct IP address, so not sure this is the fix for you.

I still suspect it is an authorization issue. If you are accessing a share,
make sure the security AND the permissions are set correctly. or make sure
you have the same account name and password on both machines.

also, right click on Computer and select Manage. Take a look at the events
and see if there are any warnings or errors. If some service is not starting
properly, etc, it may have an indication there, usually under system or
applications.

***
At this point it is unlikely to be your network setup, router or PC and most
likely an authentication or a system service issue. Usually when I have
exhausted my search for a bug or problem, it is because it is not where
I keep looking, like repeatedly searching for the car keys in the couch when
in fact they are in my pocket.

The main change in the system is the printer (try disconnecting it), the
printer services that got installed, or a change in the laptop while traveling.

the error message you get is one that would happen with authentication
or system service. Perhaps the printer install changed a service setting?
***

My home network contains about 30-40 different things, including 2 IP
addresses assigned to the Verizon FIOS TV system inside their
boxes. I assume you have cable TV. If so, maybe it is creating a
conflict? (highly unlikely...)

One other issue that may raise its head is IPv6. But that is more likely with
Win 7... and probably would conflict with internet access...

Wayne