Re: [OM] ZX-1 or G12

Subject: Re: [OM] ZX-1 or G12
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:15:04 -0700
On 8/1/2011 12:07 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Moose thus spoketh:
>> Such a completely different beast than the two mentioned. Much bigger,
>> heavier and more expensive.
> Not really. It's marginally bigger and heavier, but not in a bad way.

Sloppy on my part. It's only a bit bigger and heavier than the G12, but a great
deal bigger and heavier than the XZ-1.

> More expensive? It's all relative.

Let's see, X100 lists for $1200, but is only currently available, if at all,
for more. G12 = $470. XZ-1 = $500. Until I
win the lottery, that's a pretty relatively big difference to me, enough for a
lens for another camera, for example.

>> Trades those characteristics and the large sensor for a fixed, single focal
>> length lens. You are also paying a lot, in
>> all three ways, for a unique viewing system that will only appeal to
>> rangefinder folks. I rather like LCDs and love
>> articulated ones.
> It appeals to the folks that prefer the specific handling advantages of the
> rangefinder, minus the disadvantages of the rangefinder.

My main point, though, was that it's a very different thingie from the ones
named in the subject. And I still think so.

>> I'm very happy with the G11, and would be unhappy with the X100. Too big for
>> pocket or belt, short of features I would
>> require in something that big and heavy. µ4/3 makes little sense to me, as
>> the lenses I would want to use render it
>> unpocket/beltable, but at least it does have interchangeable lenses, both
>> fixed and zoom. I would certainly go that way
>> before an X100.
> Once you equip an E-Pen to the equivalent of the X100, it's larger,
> heavier and more expensive. I actually don't mind the fixed lens
> because to me it isn't a solo camera, but one that works with a DSLR.

I often use the G11 together with a DSLR, although I think that is diminishing
now that I have a DSLR with articulated
screen and live view.

> I think about my ideal Leica setup. It would probably be an M-body
> with the 35/1.4 lens. The X100 is awefully close to that ideal.

Sure, it's the same as your current ideal Leica setup - but the Leica can
accommodate other focal lengths when tastes or
needs change.

> But our usages, needs and desires are different.

As you say. I'm simply not interested in a fixed focal length, fixed lens
camera. My main objection to my early compact
cameras were the fixed focal length on the XA and the 2x and 3x zoom ranges on
the early digicams I had.

Moose