Re: [OM] (OM) Totally OT - Climate Change

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Totally OT - Climate Change
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 19:53:22 -0400
Yeah, but isn't this the angels on a pin-head argument writ large and blogged?
No matter who skews what data, the incontrovertible fact is that our climate is
changing. I know this is true because the spot where I'm typing this e-mail
was, not so long ago (geologic scale) under a mile-thick sheet of ice.

The argument is how much humanity is contributing. Because we are defined by
our hubris, we think it's all our fault, when, truth to tell, it's only partly
our fault, never mind that because we are as much a natural occurrence as
anything else on the planet, it can be said that global climate change is a
completely natural event. Humanity may not survive it, but, on the cosmic
scale, who cares? If we're stupid enough to do ourselves in, what real
difference does it make? We may fry ourselves, but the Earth will abide. That's
all that matters.

And, eventually, even Earth will no longer abide. Suns going dark or exploding
have a way of messing up ecosystems. Big Time. Now _that's_ climate change.

--A Tongue in Cheek but Utterly Serious Bob