Re: [OM] [OT][IMG]Someone elses images

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT][IMG]Someone elses images
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:48:12 -0400
It's really astonishing how much variety you can put into a proper HDR image.
Everything from near photo-realism to uber-grunge, all by moving sliders back
and forth. Of course, it's helpful to know which sliders do what, and to have
an idea of where you want to take the image, but some folks aren't bothered
with all of that. <g>

http://www.bobwhitmire.com/coastalcolor.html

Better Days in this gallery is my first HDR attempt to make it out of the
studio into the gallery, and rather promptly into someone's guest bedroom at a
_very_ nice summer home on the other side of Round Pond. The actual scene is
quite drab, and if I get my new web site up this winter, I'll be able to do
rollovers and such a la Moose, to show comparisons. With Better Days and the
Round Pond image I posted yesterday, I went for a definite HDR look mostly
because I liked both images better that way than any of the other ways I worked
them. But there were a variety of choices to make at every slider.

The color in Better Days is much more pronounced than the color in the actual
scene, but it's not made up. All those colors are there, but more subdued. One
of the wonders of digital photography is the ability to coax color and texture
out of things that might not otherwise have been visible. The challenge, as
always, is to make the necessary effort not to go over the top.

--Bob