Re: [OM] Fiber Optic Service Experience

Subject: Re: [OM] Fiber Optic Service Experience
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:08:33 -0500
Bullet proof? It's amazing just how on the edge some of this technology
really is. We never want to shut down a phone switch, for instance. Not only
would it be interruptive during the reboot, but it might never come back. We
have equipment that has run continously since the late '80s which would
likely cease to function if we touched it. We have to be extremely careful
with our cabinet-based equipment during the winter. Openning the door can
make it die from thermal shock.

The big advantage to FIOS is that the television signal doesn't degrade
during storms.

AG

--
Ken Norton