Re: [OM] What is your favorite exif editor tool?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is your favorite exif editor tool?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:05:10 -0700
On 8/12/2011 4:34 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Is this it?
>
> http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

exiftool itself is the most powerful tool. The command line interface makes it
poor for looking at or editing individual
images. For that, I've used exiftoolgui.

Mostly, I want to edit multiple images at once, adding copyright info, copying
GPS tags from JPEGs the i-gotU has
tagged, etc. For that, the exiftool command like is excellent. I have a text
file of my examples, so I don't have to
start from scratch each time.

> Oh, this one looks OK too:
>
> http://www.moonsoftware.com/exifmixer.asp

Looks interesting. Thanks for the link.

> Oddly some chipped adapters have the FL etc show up in the in the exif
> but not in Lightroom.  TheOptix V shows up all the time for mysterious
> reasons.
>
> Exif still is often wrong,  but not for long,

Metadata is a moving target and various apps miss some tags. Geocoding that
I've added one way won't show up in some app
or other. Added another way, it may show up where it didn't before, but perhaps
not in another app.

PS is sloppy in showing metadata, so it wouldn't surprise me if LR were too.

As far as I know, exiftool is the gold standard.

E. T. Moose