[OM] cleaning the engraved lettering on a lens

Subject: [OM] cleaning the engraved lettering on a lens
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:16:31 -0700
I recently purchased a used 40/2 that looked brand-new -- except the letter
around the front element had turned kinda pink!

Does anyone know how to safely clean the lettering?

I've considered using GooGone, which is safe on most (but not all) types of
paint. The problem is that GooGone is a surprisingly powerful solvent, and even
applied on a Q-tip, I'm reluctant to bring it near a lens.

Anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance.