[OM] Stack of Raisin Pie

Subject: [OM] Stack of Raisin Pie
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:40:02 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks for looking and commenting Chuck, Bob, and both Waynes.

>And how did you determine the use of 5 exposures and the
>movement increment?

>Chuck Norcutt

Per Dr. Focus's conclusions,  I empirically confirmed the image is less
affected by moving the focusing rail vs changing mags with the lens
helicoid. It mattered to me with a previous stack as the subject was
approaching the edge of the frame. Big Foot
has been described as "long throw" which I take has something to do
with the 720deg of turn between 1:1 and infinity.
The focusing helicoid is velvety smooth as well, so using it was easier
in this instance (The software seems to handle either approach well
enough.)  --viewing under 5X mag at the exposure aperture makes it easy
to refocus at the next logical plane of focus where there is a
discernable change. I do a dry run so I know where the closest and
farthest extremes are located. Some of the orchid wings can hang quite
a bit behind the flower and can be tricky. I do not believe extreme
precision
is necessary for an optimal result as long as the steps aren't too
large.   I have seen drop dead gorgeous stacks at high mag using flash
where it was done essentially  hand held  moving the camera/flash combo
on roller gizmos on the ground.

That be said these guys look interesting but in the wind the manual RRS
gizmo may be better.
http://tinyurl.com/3k7qttr

http://tinyurl.com/3t43lqr

Sometimes close enough for gov't work is indeed close enough, Mike