[OM] I really need all your help with a technical issue

Subject: [OM] I really need all your help with a technical issue
From: David Irisarri <zuiko3000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:50:38 -0400
Dear zuikoholics,

As you probably know I have come to NY to live and today I met a guy who is
creating movies. I showed him my portfolio and he really likes it and we
have been taking for a couple of hours to know each other. He loves retaking
pictures of his movies being projected in a huge wall and he also likes
cropping them. He told me if I can help him with this issue in a couple of
weeks and I have been carefully thinking about the right procedure for
maximizing quality. He normally enlarges pictures a lot to be displayed in
galleries and I was thinking about several possibilities.

First, I think we should rent an Olympus E-5 with the 35-100 f2 lens for
some reasons. The constant aperture and super high quality of the lens but
on the other hand I think a movie projected in a dark room it will require
using a high ISO even the aperture is high and the resolution is awesome.
Also 35-100 will help him to go inside the projected image and cropping the
part of the seen we wants.

I also have been thinking that the camera should be working in manual mode
for some reasons:

1. I need to project the light in a white card and use manual white balance
because if I use AWB the camera depending on the scenes will get the wrong
WB for sure.

2. Manual exposure. If the scenes are dark or bright the camera will try to
get the right exposure leading to a wrong exposure in most of the scenes. I
wonder how I should calibrate the camera in order to get perfect exposures.
is it possible to project a middle grey to adjust the exposure of the
camera? I want to adjust the dynamic range of the camera according to the
projector contrast ratio. I was thinking to read the full specs of the
projector and adjust the exposure to capture deep shadows and bright
highlights.

3. If the movie is being played at 25 fps in a dark light, I need a minimum
shutter speed to capture a random frame of the movie.

So maybe E-5 maybe is not the right tool for doing this. I also was thinking
in a PENTAX P65+ camera for capturing huge images with very high resolution.
The movie has a 16:9 format or even wider close to 2.11:1 aspect ratio. If I
use a four thirds sensor I´ll lose too much resolution.

I really would appreciate your feedback, ideas, regarding to exposure,
etc...I would be glad to hear from you what is the best solution as I want
to create perfect pictures for him. Probably I should use Capture ONE Phase
V to control the camera from the Apple computer we are going to use.

David Irisarri