Re: [OM] Anticipation is making me wait...

Subject: Re: [OM] Anticipation is making me wait...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:36:30 -0500
> Hmm, always presumed the bokeh was better and likely better than the
> Z. 85 F2 that has some edgy bokeh with busy backgrounds
> at about 10 ft back.  Will be watching carefully for future posts with
> examples.

The 100/2.8 is similar in that regard. If your subject is at about 2
meters, the background at 4 meters is a bit punk rockish. From what I
can see in just a few minutes of playing around, the 100/2 seems to
address it pretty well. However, OOF lights seem to have a pretty hard
edge. I always loved the way the 100/2.8 smeared reds a bit and the
aberrations worked well on skin. The 100/2 doesn't have the
skin-smoothing characteristic of the 100/2.8. It is a bit more brutal
in it's accuracy and contrast. Nothing that can't be fixed in post,
though, where most people prefer it to be done, anyway.

The background bokeh of the 100/2 seems to be quite good, but the gold
standard for me is the 35-80. It'll be fun running all these lenses
through the paces.

As I was typing the above, something occured to me. The contrast and
color of the 100/2 is not at all unlike the PanaLicker 14-50 that came
with the DMC-L1. That's not a bad thing.

AG