Re: [OM] (OM) Image loss on Hard Drive

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Image loss on Hard Drive
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:57:33 -0400
It's possible that the drive activity you are experiencing is the
"SMART" system if your drive is so equipped.  The drive may be active in
an attempt to diagnose and/or correct errors.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_drive>

I recently had a drive failure in the sense that the SMART system
advised me with an error message that there was a high probability of
major failure in the not too distant future.  That warning had been
preceeded by enough noticeable drive activity over the previous month or
more that I had become nearly convinced of some possible virus
infection.  Then I noticed that it happened even when I booted the
machine into Linux which let Windows off the hook.

So I replaced the (refurbished) drive which was only about 6 months old
and all the mysterious drive activity has ceased.  Since then I've
learned that my Dell machine has a hardware diagnostic tool that runs
disk diagnostics in conjunction with the SMART system on the drive.

I think it's time to replace the drive.  But don't throw it out.  You
could also have a failing drive controller.  I had that happen once too
but only on one channel which was not the boot drive's channel.  Save
the "bad" drive until you're sure it was bad and that was the problem.

Also do like I do.  I always have 2 backup drives.  One in the house and
the other off-site.

Chuck Norcutt