Re: [OM] (OM) Image loss on Hard Drive (a bit of a Blog)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Image loss on Hard Drive (a bit of a Blog)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:28:51 +1200
Thanks for all the advice on this topic.

On checking (using Windows Explorer which is my routine file management
tool) I noticed that the  dates of creation of the directories are months
AFTER the dates the pics were taken. Normally these would be the same
day as the arrival of the first images, with the rest later.

Then I remembered that this relatively new HDD had this stuff copied from
my older and chock-full HDD. And I don't, for the life of me, remember
where I have stored the durn thang. Such are the joys of moving
house/home. I'm still far from unpacked/space is very tight, to say the least..

So I think the most likely scenario is that the process of copying the files
from one HDD to the other had the occasional failure.

I don't have Nortons. The first major task I undertook when I bought this 2nd
hand machine was to totally remove Nortons. What a job!  But the
operational speed of the machine increased (conservatively) by about
1000%   It was a horrible slug when I bought it, and that was probably the
reason for it being on the market in the first place.

I have done several thorough searches. I always leave the camera image ID
letters/numbers intact in the file names, so a Windows Explorer search
should without fail, find them. I use the old pre-windows trick of the *
wildcard appropriately in searches. It's amazing to me that an XP program
would use this, but it does.

I routinely purge the Recycle bin. There is no chance I put them in there.

I'm glad but not surprised Ken likes the 100/2. However, one thing it doesn't
have is great DOF, and a work-around often sees another lens being used.

An old friend of mine (professional forest-science-industrial photographer)
scorned the use of macro lenses. His work-around was to stand back with a
larger format machine ( Hasselblad or larger) with normal lens, and fire
away. Then enlarge/crop as needed.

The reason I was looking for the images I could not find was that I wanted to
comb through them for one for a competition. There is a UN Photo comp
(International Year of Forests 2011 - What forests provide to Society).
I provided 3, and for one the black cloth that Wayne Harridge sent me
proved absolutely essential. Thanks Wayne.
I had an awful time trying to eliminate reflections in an oiled wooden bowl.
I was saved eventually by a foggy, frosty morning before the sun got up too
high; but on the way found i could not locate my circ-pol 49mm filter for my
Zuiko 50/3.5 macro.  I had the 55mm circ-pol for the 100/2, but then
insufficient DOF. I had the 58mm one for the DZ 14-45 lens but found it too
dim to see through.
Then I remembered I had a 49-55 step-up ring, so tried to put the 55mm c-p
filter on the 50/3.5 macro. One end fitted the lens OK, but what at casual
inspection looked like 55mm thread on this ring proved to be nothing of the
sort. I think it's not thread at all, and now I don't know what this ring
accomplishes. The 'threads' seem to be all parallel with the rim and each
other. and with a too-small diameter.

I will post photos as soon as reasonably possible.

Brian Swale.