[OM] Was: mount mod; Now M42-to-4/3 Adapter Thickness

Subject: [OM] Was: mount mod; Now M42-to-4/3 Adapter Thickness
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:47:03 -0500
Chuck and Chris,

I processed a RAW image made with a 55mm Takumar on my Fotodiox adapter (7mm
flange to flange), mounted on the  E-1.  I did not record an exact f-stop.  The
lens was set at the infinity stop.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Takumar+55+at+Infinity+Mark.jpg.html

The white traffic signs seen on the left side of the street were approximately
250 feet away.

I shot a similar RAW image with a 50mm Leica-R Summicron on a Leica-R-to-4/3
adapter, mounted on the E-1.  This lens has focus travel past infinity, so it
was focused on the most distant object.  On the focus scale, this was about the
width of the infinity symbol ahead of the infinity stop.  Processing was
identical to the previous image.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Summicron+Focused+at+Infinity.jpg.html

To my eyes, viewed at 100% before any resizing, I can't tell much difference
except for the difference in lighting.  Cars at 250 to 300 feet have similar
sharpness.

I conclude that, for practical purposes, the 7mm adapter will serve its purpose.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA