Re: [OM] m.zuiko 45 ƒ1.8 review

Subject: Re: [OM] m.zuiko 45 ƒ1.8 review
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:16:30 +1000
No. Not quite.
They tend to favour what we call 'churnalists' - people who just rewrite the
press releases uncritically. They'll lend them kit even though they don't
really need to see the stuff and often don't know how to use it. I once had one
at a launch ask me what camera I thought she should buy - she was clueless but
to be fair, is required to write about all gadgets, including fones. These
types often work for widely syndicated newspaper chains or similar mass media
and so get first look dammit.
Then there are the reviewers. They'll often drag their feet with these as they
don't want any negative comments aired during the launch period. Remember the
Leica M8 infra red problem? That's quite a story, a very minor problem that got
right out of perspective and cost a lot because of an informal review that went
viral. DPReview is so powerful that they have to co-operate with them but
sycophants get first grab. Very annoying for those of us who try to do it right.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx