Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] Titanic, was More from the Airport
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:22:32 +0100
The third interim report from BEA (including analysis of the cockpit voice
recordings) was published a couple of weeks back, in English here:
http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2009/f-cp090601e3.en/pdf/f-cp090601e3.en.pdf

David Learmount wrote in Flight:

" French accident investigator BEA has released a transcript of flight deck
conversation between the pilots of Air France flight 447 as they fought to
save the aircraft. The transcript makes it chillingly clear that they did
not believe that the aircraft was stalled, despite stall warnings, so their
attempts at recovering control were doomed to be unsuccessful.
The transcript shows the pilots tried to blast their way out of the low
speed regime by using power alone, without attending to the aircraft's
nose-up attitude, and their verbal exchanges indicate that they did not
understand why their actions were not producing the results they expected to
see.
When the problem first occurred, two copilots were managing the flight,
while the captain rested in the crew rest compartment. But when the captain
returned to the flight deck the aircraft was stalled and in a high rate of
descent, and he was not able to contribute a strategy for recovering the
aircraft before it hit the sea. "

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2011/08/02/360282/bea-releases-chilling
-transcript-of-af447-crew-fight-to-save.html

It seems to me that we are being invited to put it down to pilot error, but
as I intimated in my earlier post, I don't believe that the human factors
have been properly considered ... yet.

Piers