Re: [OM] Irene

Subject: Re: [OM] Irene
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 07:53:29 -0400
Actually, "eye of the storm" is exactly the place to be if you can but
manage to stay there.  I've been in a couple of eyes and it's very calm
in there.  But all hell breaks loose once again when the eye wall from
the opposite side of the storm comes (quickly) upon you.

We're having heavy rain at the moment and the wind is blowing harder
than I expected.  But I'm pretty far inland.  Right now the center of
the eye is a bit over 200 miles away.  Later today it will be about 130
miles away.  So it might get worse before it gets better.  But I'm
neither likely to be blown away nor flooded out.  Max winds should be on
the low end of tropical storm force and the rivers and streams were
below normal levels before the storm.  Besides, I'm on the top of a high
hill.  If it floods here y'all better be building an ark.  :-)

But there are others on this list who are either on or very near the
coast.  I have coastal property too but I'm in New York at the moment
and that property is on the west coast of Florida.  Both places are safe
(for the moment).

Chuck Norcutt