[OM] IMG Another spider portrait

Subject: [OM] IMG Another spider portrait
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 00:43:13 +1200
 Chuck wrote:
> No Black Widows in New Zealand but you do have a couple of close
> relatives: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katipo>

True; I didn't know we had Aust. redbacks in NZ until a local paper article
noted that they are common on some of the tough hot local hills above
Alexandra; and therefore could be anywhere local here among hot rocky
faces..It is considered dangerous since it is thought to be aggressive to
intruders..
The katipo is nearly confined to driftwood on sandy beaches; but I am aware
of exceptions. While its venom is recognised, people don't consider it
dangerous in most circumstances.

Brian Swale.