Re: [OM] Irene

Subject: Re: [OM] Irene
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 11:15:24 -0400
Well, Irene managed to take out the power for about 1-1/2 hours this
morning.  The big surprise was not that the power went out but that my
UPS didn't prevent the computer from going down with it.  The laptop my
wife uses kept on chugging on battery power but had no internet
connection since I didn't have the router and cable modem plugged into
the UPS.  So, to test to see if the UPS was working at all, I plugged in
the modem and router and it provided the laptop with an internet
connection until the mains came back on.

Now I've got to figure out why the UPS didn't keep the big iron from
failing.  Could be the battery is old (probably getting on to 5 years or
more) and couldn't deliver the power required.  After the battery gets
charged back up I'll give it a test by pulling the power plug on the
UPS.  If it fails again I'll replace the UPS battery.

Is it possible for this to happen if the mains chatter enough while
going down that they manage to outfox the UPS such that it also chatters
enough to make a non-power window long enough to let the computer fail?

Chuck Norcutt