Re: [OM] (OM) RE: OM PC = OM40

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) RE: OM PC = OM40
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:44:08 -0700
On 8/29/2011 8:29 PM, Brian Swale wrote:
> I just bought an OM PC = OM40 + lens on a lesser-known auction site.
>
> The seller has sold about 1200 items and has good feedback.
>
> The indications on the auction wrote-up was that it was a fully functional
> camera.
>
> On arrival I found no batteries in, and the mirror locked up.The re-wind knob
> was (and still is) in the stuck-down position. The shutter button did nothing.
> I took 2 SR44 batteries out of their sealed wrappers and installed them.
>
> There is no "re-set" button I could see, so I expected the camera to come to
> life. It didn't. I tested the batteries in another OM camera and they work
> fine.

I couldn't recall for sure, so I just tried it. Installing fresh batteries
should indeed bring it to life. As I was
screwing on the battery cover, the mirror flipped down.

The rewind button comes back up when the camera is wound - if the little
actuation pin hasn't broken. I understand that
piece is the weak point of OM-40s. In any case, you can't wind it until the
electronics are working.

> Can somebody please tell me if there is something else I should have tested.

Yeah, check the batteries. Every once in a long time a battery is bad in the
original packaging. Got a voltmeter? Once
you are sure you've got 3 volts, make sure the battery contacts are clean, both
center and around the top edge and the
cover itself.  Run the control dial under the rewind crank back and forth a few
times, to make sure it is making contact.

Moose