Re: [OM] Irene

Subject: Re: [OM] Irene
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 09:21:28 -0400
I know it wasn't the case everywhere, but Irene was a real bust in this part of
Maine. Everyone was hunkered down for the big blow, and by the middle of the
day they were out going to restaurants and shopping and stuff. Still, a stiff
breeze, but in this part of Maine, that's an everyday thing. We had a
Northeaster this past winter with wind gusts somewhere along the coast here
clocked at 90 mph. And it was cold. And snowing.

As the day wore on, I saw meteorologists on the tube clinging with their
hard-bitten nails to the last vestiges of hope that Irene might still live up
to her clippings. Alas, pretty much for naught.

But then after Katrina, no one in any position of responsibility, self-imposed
or not, is going to take anything more than a mild summer breeze lightly.

--Bob