Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:07:34 +0100
Yes.  The Westland Lysander was a similar aircraft, but it had no slats, as far
as I know.  But then I haven't seen a working version.  And the Storch flew
extremely slowly.  We estimated that it landed at around 20mpg groundspeed,
stopping on the grass strip in about 30yds. I have heard that the Germans
called it the Crane Fly and I could see why, watching it fly.

I flew the Jaguar on my first tour; that had slats which you could set to Auto,
but the system was a bit late to activate (on increasing AoA) so we were
encouraged to deploy them while on the range, when the extra drag didn't
matter.  The Tornado GR1 had a manually selectable MVR (manoeuvre) setting:
flaps and slats while the wings were fully forward, but slats only when past
25deg sweep.  We were encourage to use them in any manouvring, at any height.
Apparently an early Tornado accident was the result of a chap looping without
them.

The F16 was similar, but the A/B model I flew had beautifully controlled
leading-edge and trailing-edge flaps (LEFs and TEFs, I seem to remember); they
adjusted themselves automatically over a range of settings, indeed there was no
manual system for setting either.  But the C/D model had up or down LEFs, a
very inefficient system, probably chosen to reduce fatigue on that part of the
ac.  Pull just a bit too much AoA, especially heavy and high, and you had these
barn doors causing loads of drag.  That was the Block 30/32; I think that they
changed it back to the lovely early system not long after that block.

My current aircraft, the little moped of the skies (Grob 115e) has little flaps
alone; and grateful we are for them :-)

Chris