Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.8 50mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.8 50mm lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:01:55 -0400
 From John Hermanson on June 7, 2005 from a discussion that was actually
about multi-coating
As I recall, the fast wide angles (21/2, 24/2, 28/2, 35/2) were always
MC. Type 1 & 2 of 50/1.8 were SC, The last 3 versions of the 50/1.8
(type 3, 4, 5) were MC.  Type 3 & 4 shared all the same parts except
element group 2nd from the rear. Type 3 would have MC on the front name
ring.  Type 4 & 5 were MC without any MC marking.  Reflections in the
front element of MC lenses would be a purplish green in color.
I'm pressing my recall ability here but I think #5 was considered the
best but it also supposedly can be subject to sticky diaphragm but the
lens is assembled with thread locker and may be extremely difficult to
disassemble for cleaning.  I have one and it works fine.

Chuck Norcutt