[OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM

Subject: [OM] Stuck OM-2, & to OM or not to OM
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 15:57:00 -0700
Greetings, Zuiks.  I've been away for quite a while, but was very active
on this list some years ago.

* Part I:  The problem ---------

I recently took out my OM-2 to exercise the shutter (haven't used it in
quite a while). Tripped the shutter. The mirror went down, but did not
come back up. The Reset (*/B position of shutter speed dial) did nothing.
Hmmm.

Changed to brand new batteries.  Nothing. Took lens off.  Nothing. Battery
tests fine. Went through all speeds, ISO settings and both auto and manual
modes. No joy. Left camera on B all night. Batteries drained, but still no
joy.

Then I realized that the shutter curtain was still showing the pixelated
black and white metering pattern, not a plain black curtain. I guess the
shutter isn't firing.

Is there any do-it-yourself solution? Or is this a case of send the camera
to John H for a CLA?  The CLA will cost as much or more than the camera is
worth. Or I could sell the OM-2 for parts.

...which leads to:

* Part II: The quandry ----------

I mostly shoot a Leica M8 now, though recently I've been getting the urge
to use B&W film in a film M6. My second camera is a Panasonic G1, to which
I occasionally affix my OM Zuiko lenses, but mostly use with the kit zoom
and 20/1.7. My third camera is an Oly E-520, used occasionally for
telephoto. Focusing a Zuiko is problematic in that dratted tiny
viewfinder.  The OM-2 is relegated to 4th place.

Lately I've been thinking seriously about getting a different DSLR. I live
in the Pacific Northwest U.S., where bright sunshine is rare except in
summer. So ISO 400 and 800 are normal settings for me, and 4/3 strong
points do not include high-ISO. The G1 is small versatile, and the
magnified EVF makes manual focusing easy. But it's noisy at ISO 800, and
the shutter lag and long blackout are issues.

The DSLRs I've been considering include the Nikon D700 (for ultimate high
ISO ability), or either the D7000 or Pentak K-5, for that wonderful new
sensor, better high ISO, and dynamic range. None of these cameras will
take OM Zuikos. Canons will, but they interest me much less, and I don't
think one should choose a camera based on whether it will take another
brand's manual focus legacy lenses, which I know I'll only occasionally
use.

So on one hand I'm tempted to just bag the OM system entirely and sell the
lenses to those who would still appreciate them.  And then the spirit of
Jane Bown whispers in my ear, "Keep them. You might take a few nice B&W's
now and then. Get an OM-1, which will still work even if the meter
electronics rot.

Any thoughts?

--Peter