Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 22:29:16 -0700
On 8/31/2011 7:34 AM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Nasse frim Zeiss in his e-mail said an experienced photogs would
> correctly  ignore full wave dof solutions to their lenses (or something
> to that effect)
> so they don't provide them.  So he was wearing his "I agree with Moose"
> T-shirt that day.

Whew! So I don't have to read and understand all that stuff?

> Hope others liked the orchid.  :-)

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about your recent stacked shots. They
are technically strong, capturing
clearly focused detail that would have been impossible in photography until
recently.

Yet there's a cool, unworldly feel - to the orchids, in particular. Maybe it's
just that I have spent my life looking at
images with one plane of focus, and sharpness declining in front of and behind
it.

I am reminded of the many, many drawings done by the scientist-artists who
documented so much of the plant world in
great detail before the advent of photography. Although apparently
dispassionate, and without DOF problems, there's a
sense of warmth, perhaps an underlying relationship between artist and subject,
that informs many of them with a
different feeling than the photographs.

No knock on your images, they are very well done. Just musing on different
forms of depiction of the natural world. Much
like the comparison between my Buckeye images and Jim's most recent one.

Perhaps too, deciding if I want to pursue some more focus stacked images.

Moose