[OM] Free image manipulation [was Whoops]

Subject: [OM] Free image manipulation [was Whoops]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 13:34:00 -0700
On 9/5/2011 12:46 PM, Rick Beckrich wrote:
>   Any suggestions on free photo edit programs?
>
> Anyone?

Full scale editors:

    I think GIMP is the generally recognized leader in real editing capability
and stability. <http://www.gimp.org/>

    I know I tried a PS clone like program by someone in Germany, but I'm
darned if I remember the name.

RAW converter/image management/global manipulation ala LIghtroom, etc.

    Rawtherapee started out as a RAW converter, but added a lot of
Lightroom/Aperture like controls for image editing.
    <http://www.rawtherapee.com/> The last release under the old model, 2.4.1,
is pretty capable. It switched to open
    source a couple of years ago, and recently released version 3.0, which I
have yet to try out beyond downloading and
    opening. It looks to have at least the same broad array of tools as the
earlier version.

Image viewers and managers with modest image manipulation abilities.

    Picasa is a very flexible and powerful  free program from Google that
indexes all your images, will do geotagging,
    sharing, etc. and also includes modest image manipulation capabilities.
<http://picasa.google.com/>

    FastStone Image Viewer is primarily what its name says, but includes some
modest image manipulation tools and a
    quite good batch capability for format conversion and resizing. It will
also handle downloading from camera or card.
    <http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm>

    Irfanview offers similar capabilities to FastStone, although with a
somewhat different interface. Lots of people
    swear by it. It doesn't do much for me. <http://www.irfanview.com/>

All of the above are free. Adobe Photoshop Elements is very inexpensive for
what it does, especially as it includes
Adobe Camera Raw, which some here use as their primary image processing app.

Moose