Re: [OM] Latest OM Family Portrait - Olympus Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest OM Family Portrait - Olympus Living History Farm
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 17:27:58 -0500
> I meant to say on my first response, "nicely lit".

Thank you, on both counts.

The lighting is close, not perfect, but close. But I was wanting to do some
experimentation and testing so this is what I came up with. As mentioned, no
editing, just conversion and resizing.

On top of the E-1 is a Vivitar 285HV. I put the Expo Imaging RogueGrid with
the 45 degree grid. This is aimed directly at the center of the composition.
The OM stuff was placed on a large sheet of white craft foam which was bent
up behind the cameras to the top of the workbench. This flash provided the
direct lighting on the cameras. The grid did have the advantage of
eliminating most of the vignetting of the 285HV. This also kept the light
from scattering around the room uncontrolled. This light lit the white to
about 1-stop below clipping.

Mounted with the E-1 (handle-right) is the T45. This was aimed about 10
degrees up from lens axis, but I used the Rogue FlashBender as a
flag/reflector UNDERNEATH the flash. It blocked the light from falling on
the cameras but hit the white backdrop a few inches above the tallest
camera/lens. This provided a bit of reflected light off of the white filling
in the back side of the cameras. The FlashBender was bent to reflect most of
the light up to the white ceiling. This provided a nice even top fill.

Between the two flashes, almost all of the white background went into
clippping.

Camera-subject distance was about five feet.

AG