[OM] Speaking of film, was: The event I've been waiting for

Subject: [OM] Speaking of film, was: The event I've been waiting for
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:58:25 -0400
AG said:  I'm using film for my "good stuff".

So, speaking of film, I got quite a surprise this weekend whilst at my
son's house for Labor Day weekend and granddaughter's 17th birthday.
While she was showing me some of her Canon digi P&S shots on the
computer she asked:  "Grandpa, can you tell me how to blur the
background?"  That led to some discussions about depth of field, the
things that affect it, the difficulty of controlling it with a very
small P&S camera, and some means of effecting some background blur in
spite of the camera.  Then some comparisons between a P&S and the 5D.
Well, she grew quite enamored of the 5D after looking through the
viewfinder and noting that she could easily see and control that
background blur she wanted.

Of course, no one is about to buy her a 5D tomorrow.  But I asked her if
she would like a film camera as a gift or even just to try out.  That
led to "What's a film camera?"  Grandpa says, "Uh,oh!"  Then she says:
"Oh, you mean like the stuff that you get with a disposable camera?"
More long discussion of film.  Then again this morning I asked again:
"Are you interested in having a film camera to try out?"
"Oh, yes!" she said.  "You understand that this isn't going to fit into
your purse, don't you?"  Big smile, "Yes".

So tomorrow I'll have to paw through the Olympus body and lens inventory
and pick a few items for her to get started.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt