Re: [OM] Memory card un-format

Subject: Re: [OM] Memory card un-format
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 09:10:40 -0400
The guy who reported this success is extremely lucky, probably because
he's using a very large card.  He reports that he only formats about
once/year which implies that, assuming he does a lot of photography, he
must be deleting files vs formatting.  That would seem to be the case
since he has 774 Nikon raw files from a single event.  But not a given
since those files probably only require perhaps 60-75% of the capacity
of a 16GB flash card.  Assuming he never fills the card and, when he
deletes vs formats, he deletes everything he will be OK.

Recovery problems arise when there are fragmented files.  Fragmentation
occurs when there is selective deletion of files and the storage device
approaches its capacity or the file system reuses non-contiguous space
without first filling all contiguous space.

If you read the operational description of this software you will see
warnings that, although it makes an attempt, it may not be able to
recover all fragmented files.

This seems to be a well designed app but it has no magic.  My prior
warnings about not doing image deletes in camera remain as firm as ever.

Chuck Norcutt