[OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues

Subject: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 18:35:50 -0400 (EDT)
  Thanks for the comments Chuck and 'ol Eagle -eyed not really trouble
making Goin' East  Moose.

I am **hoping** Moose is peering into the sausage grinder a bit for the
size  required but he detected an innate feature of the focus stack
algorithms.  For most of the algorithms the "focus stack feathering" is
an adjustable parameter.  The edges of the images used in the
transitions need to be smoothed to prevent a visible seam. Two low a
value and the transitions are obvious (seams) and too high results in
needless  wider fuzzy areas.  I suppose the size of the print would
dictate the # of images to stack required as well as the inherent dof
at the chosen aperture of course.  Deep stacks with many images with
most of the image OOF don't stack well with the
"Do Stack" algorithm of Combine Z but the "Pyramid" one works OK.
Highlights seem to screw it up too so using JPEGS that look good may
not be the way to do it.  A bit underexposed can be better --then fix
it later.
Combine Z only stacks 8 bit images so that worries me when doing that.
Helicon focus can use tiffs or even Raw files  (uses DCRAW and mebbe
even Adobe)  and can run in 64 bit.  The base program is $30 but the
full fledged is  a bit more than Combine Z (free) at $250, but the
trial is free.

I see evidence that some do HDR landscapes focus stacked in multi-row
panos.  Makes my head hurt and my PC quivers thinking about it. Better
be well organized.   Right now have as an alternative tried  a couple
deg of tilt on my Mirex thingie (that can then shift for a pano) and
used film on my OM.

Really want to see a focus stacked print, Mike