Re: [OM] Light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] Light meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:06:26 -0700
On 9/6/2011 3:27 PM, Chris Crawford wrote:
> I don't know about the Olympus cameras you guys are discussing, but I have
> never had any luck trying to expose to the right with ANY digital camera. If
> I do, I always lose some highlights. I just don't think the histograms on
> 35mm format digital SLRs are large enough to see accurately if you're losing
> anything to overexposure.

Correct, but not limited to cameras. Take an image like the Rose of Sharon one
from Jim that I just posted about. Look
at the histogram in PS, then Select Highlights and look at the histogram. Oops!

The on screen histograms of large images just can't show all the tonal detail.
I quite often look at the histogram of
just part of the image, selected by highlights, circling an area I'm wondering
about, etc.

Moose