[OM] Light meter

Subject: [OM] Light meter
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:08:07 -0400 (EDT)
CC writes:
 I just don't think the histograms on
> 35mm format digital SLRs are large enough to see accurately if you're
losing
> anything to overexposure.

Moose replies:
Correct, but not limited to cameras. Take an image like the Rose of
Sharon one
from Jim that I just posted about. Look
at the histogram in PS, then Select Highlights and look at the
histogram. Oops!

Well hackers to the rescue for some circumstances.  CHDK will enable a
demarcation at end of histo  (I often like the blend/ (RGB in one
histo) Y option
when ANY over or under exposure is detected.  There is Zebra mode ( I
have set for 1/2 press) for over AND underexposure with user set
thresholds (optimally determined for each cam/PP flow)
An RGB Zebra mode with the clipped channel area flashing (in the
clipped color of course) is also available, but that negates the
underexposure Zebra at least for my build.  So one can know not only if
clipped or shadow blocked , but WHERE
prior or after exposure.  Moose would make this software sing on the
G11 but is a bit fussy to set up the first time on a large card---2
partitions necessary.  After one card configured one can just copy the
cfg file to the next card as to avoid
fussing with the menus again.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

Hacked Firmware Fan, Mike