Re: [OM] HDR? [continues: IMG: Yin-Yang Love]

Subject: Re: [OM] HDR? [continues: IMG: Yin-Yang Love]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:22:58 -0500
Tell you what... That Sekonic L-758DR has serious drool-factor. I really the
L-508, and this new one is exactly the same base meter system, but has a
myriad of new computational and analytical tools. If money were no object,
it would be a no-brainer to get. But chances are, most people don't ever get
past the basic functionality which means that they are as well off as any of
the older models. I can do, through emperical testing, most of what the 758
is doing automatically. But to use the advanced features requires a lot of
studying and usage. Most photogaphers find it easier to just wing it.

These ultra-fancy high-end meters are kinda a funny thing. Many people just
don't "get them". Everybody ends up settling into a working method that
works for them in whatever style they do with the subject matter they
usually shoot. But that doesn't diminish their worth at all for somebody who
has optimized their working methods to the technology.

I can chimp with the best of them, but but one thing that is very difficult
to figure out on the screen is tonal relationships. The histogram is handy,
but isn't specific to any particular part of the image. You don't really
know where a particular skintone is landing on the histogram. You make
educated guesses, but that's all you can do.

Not mentioned in the OM Family Portrait shoot was that I used the L-508
quite extensively to achieve the effect I was looking for. Used it so much
that I had to replace the battery! (AA). Where I went wrong, the 758DR would
have addressed my problem. Inotherwords, I goofed, not having the meter bail
out my idiocy.

AG