Re: [OM] Light meter

Subject: Re: [OM] Light meter
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 16:51:41 -0500
While sitting on a boring conference call here at work, I got out the L-508
and was just horsing around with it practicing the averaging and memory
functions. Did get one thing to work which I was never able to before. You
can have it memorize both spot readings and dome readings. Rotating the
spot/dome selector flips the reading back and forth. This worked in the EV
mode. Later versions allow you to actually compare "dots" on the same scale.

The Sekonics, with the memory function do a reasonably good job of mimicking
the multi-spot metering in AUTO mode of the OM-4(T/Ti). In fact, they are
almost identical in this fashion.

On my "roundtuit" list, is a big fancy review of the L-508 on Zone-10.
Honestly, I will admit ignorance on a couple of advanced features. This is a
meter (and the newer ones are even tougher) that you MUST spend quality time
with the instruction manual.

Oh, in my quick-n-dirty playing, I metered a couple of really tough spots in
the office and dialed the settings into the DMC-L1. The results were
perfect. When popping the camera back into auto, depending on which meter
mode I chose (matrix, averaging or spot) the exposures varied by about five
stops and none of them were correct.

No histograms were harmed in this testing.

AG