Re: [OM] (OT) Fungun Amongus

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Fungun Amongus
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 02:22:08 -0700
On 9/8/2011 1:58 AM, Patrick Moore wrote:
> 'ello Olympus
>
> * On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 01:36:42AM -0700, Moose said:
>> On 9/6/2011 4:30 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
>>> ... I liked the Cypress avenue.
>> I grew up on Cyprus Avenue (as in the Van Morrison song), so everytime I see
>> Cypress Avenue, I wince a little bit,
>> even though I know fine well the -ess spelling is perfectly reasonable. Such
>> is life I suppose. p.

Brian was not referring to a street name, or a country. He was making a literal
response, as a forester, to my post of
an image of a literal avenue of cypress trees.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Point_Reyes/South&image=_MG_2613cria.jpg>

Although the name of island nation, Cyprus, probably comes from the same root
as cypress trees, there is no crossover or
confusion in modern English. Probably lots of cypresses on the island. I had a
girlfriend of Greek parentage whose
father came from the village of Kyparissi, named for the cypress trees there.

Moose