Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues

Subject: Re: [OM] Paph Orchid Series Continues
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 13:33:19 -0500
> The live view magnifier on the 60D is starting to convince me that a lot of
> softness that I've put down to other factors
> over the years has been less than perfect focus.

Exactimundo! The two killers for me is camera/subject motion and focus
imperfections. The problem for me is that focus imperfections are
addressable by closing the lens down. camera/subject motion is
addressably by opening the lens up.

I don't believe that emperical evidence supports the claim that
"...any handheld camera used at an exposure of longer than 1/1000 s
isn't going to resolve mroe than about 6 Mpix in any case, reagardless
of the lens or sensor used." First of all, the generalization is so
great that it fails when considering wide-angle lenses and secondly,
it makes an assumption as to a miminum amount of continous motion that
doesn't take into account the oscillating motion of the photographer's
hands which has a moment of stopped motion twice per cycle. Many years
ago I learned the technique of shooting between heartbeats as I
recognized that my hands moved during the "pulse". More problematic
for me is the nature of my shake--it's rotational--not just lateral.

One thing I have to keep relearning over and over again is my own
positional alteration post focusing. I have this tendency to lean
forward a slight bit after I've got focus.

AG (blurred lines) Schnozz