[OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR

Subject: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 18:53:26 -0400 (EDT)
CN writes:
But being able to get a detailed view of the histogram in PS doesn't
address my concern. I want to see it in-camera so I know if my current
exposure settings will result in blown highlights.

I agree with Chuck , it would be very nice to have a true RAW
histo/and/or Zebra. CHDK will put a demarcation on the end of a histo
if any
clipping detected and the flashing Zebra mode on half press or
reviewing the shot can be very helpful, but doesn't tell one if any
room was left in the RAW file. Probably not much more (if that) than
1/2 stop for a Powershot anyway but more for 5D classic or Mk 11. Magic
lantern does have the Zebra mode. The CHDK hackers did the heavy
lifting enabling Magic lantern to succeed. I know the 5D firmware was
downloaded
by some of the CHDK developers but none of the really crackerjack ones
that typically push the rock over the crest of hill were ever
interested.
Lack of LV obviates a significant amount of the advantage. Canyon
should just take the readily available code and use it for an update,
IMO.
They clearly have shown little interest but did update the video
capabilities of the 5DII. Magic Lantern is said to transform it into
the 5D Mark Free.
There have been no reports of cams being bricked by this, but the
caveat on the site says  "if you break it, you get to keep both halves."

Mike