Re: [OM] (OM) New images of a day out

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) New images of a day out
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:50:38 -0700

> That reminded my of our recent trip to the UK.  We had the good fortune
> to have a guided tour of Kew Gardens.  The guide was a good friend of
> our hosts and a retired employee of the gardens.  She was an expert on
> the grasses of the world.

    Visiting the Kew Gardens is botanist's dream come true.  I can't think
of a single genera that they don't have a decent collection of.  Grasses,
though, are routinely ignored by botanists, botanical gardens,
horticulturalists, and home gardeners.  I have a few native bunch grasses in
my garden whose primary purpose is to keep the soil healthy.

    Range managers tend to be the most knowledgable about grasses, and out
here you need to get to know people in USFS and BLM to find anyone who is
widely versed.  I've become fairly well educated by way of knowing some of
those people.

Chris