Re: [OM] (OM) Small apertures and digital lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Small apertures and digital lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:54:14 -0700
On 9/11/2011 9:10 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Playing the devil's advocate, is it possible the f/22 lens setting forced
> the E-3 shutter to slow down enough that un-noticed camera motion caused the
> softness?

You may advocate for the Devil all you want - it's gonna be soft at f22.

I tested the 135/4.5 on film, on a sturdy tripod. The sort of calculations
Chuck so generously provides are useful, but
sometimes I just want to see in person.

F16 was pretty good, at f22, I could see softening at the place of focus, but
the trade-off for more sharpness through
DOF in my highly 3D subject wasn't bad. F32 was just soft, no way around it. I
haven't used f32 since.

The rough 4/3s equivalents for the above would be f16=>f8, f22 = f11 and f32 =
f16. So at f22, Brian had gone beyond the
f32 on FF film that I found unacceptably soft, to the eq. of f44 on film.

But, soft! how light through yonder lens breaks.

... we see through a glass, softly.

Through such small aperture
My sensor loses its resolution
And wanders purposeless