Re: [OM] Hummingbird on the defensive

Subject: Re: [OM] Hummingbird on the defensive
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:56:43 -0700
On 9/12/2011 7:10 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
>> We see hummingbirds very regularly at their feeding bottle on our back deck.
>>
>       We have 15 species here in Arizona, more than any other state.  I
> regularly see Ruby Throat and Broadtails in my garden, and I've planted lots
> of shrubs that they like.

A past girlfriend who was a hummingbird rehabber for an animal rescue place and
an enthusiast. So I spent a week in SE
Ariz., looking at hummers, walking around the Chiricahuas area and enjoying the
scenery. Let's see if I can recall, Blue
Throat, Magnificent, Broad Billed, Broad Tailed, Violet Crowned, and, trickiest
of all, a Lucifers. I've also seen a
White Eared, but that was in Mexico, by pure chance.

We've got Anna's here year round, Allen's for the season and Rufous passing
through on their way North and back. To be
honest, I don't think I could tell an Allens' from a Roufous, but I've known
folks more expert than I (doesn't take
much) who weren't sure, either. Calliope's and Black Chinned just a little ways
inland, but I've never seen either here.

HummingMoose