Re: [OM] GPS tagging

Subject: Re: [OM] GPS tagging
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:27:26 -0700
On 9/13/2011 7:43 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
>    I saw Moose's Igotu GT120, bought one,  and have been using that.  It
> is quite H2O resistant but the Li battery is sealed in for good and for
> bad.
> I can testify it is tough as has been rained upon on horseback for
> days.  Mostly worked well enough

Most of the failures with mine have been operator error, forgetting to take it
along, forgetting to turn it on, turning
it on and leaving it in the car, and so it goes.

It does get less reliable under heavy tree cover. In a grove of Redwoods or
Giant Sequoias it still generally knows
roughly where it is, but can be much less accurate than in more open areas.

I have no idea what happened on our boat trip on Plum Island Sound. The GPS
track seems to parallel our track on the
water, but about half a mile inland. Never done anything weird like that before
or since.

>   though I don't like the software much.

A bit odd, but I've gotten used to it. Yo needn't use it for anything more than
downloading from the device and
outputting as standard GPX or as a CSV file. Geosetter or other tagging
software can take it from there.

Moose