Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:08:22 -0500
> I feel like I'm forever fighting an unwinnable battle with an unknowable
enemy. I try to set tonalities while looking
> straight on at my monitor, 2/3 of the way up, 'cause that's supposed to be
what it's designed for, I think. When I stand
> up, everything looks too light. Slump down in my chair, and it all gets
darker.

YES!!!!  LCD's are the bane of our lives.

So, here is what I do in this situation.

Have reference image available. I've done this for years in the darkroom and
now do the same in the "lightroom". Not always, though, and it seems that
everytime I fail to use my reference image I screw up the tonalities. With a
reference image, it really doesn't matter if the screen is calibrated or
not, because you are adapting the eyeball calibration to the changing
situation.

The background of my laptop display is the Millerslab calibration/reference
graphic. When I'm working up a picture for printing, I have the identical
graphic next to me as printed by Millers. It seems like a crude setup, but
it actually works.

The iPad is also quite decent for previewing images on. It's just a touch
overcooked, but remarkably close. Ctein wrote about that last year and I
concure. I use "Air Display" to extend my computer's display onto the iPad.

AG