Re: [OM] Mynolta A1, was: HDR? (and other unrelated stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Mynolta A1, was: HDR? (and other unrelated stuff
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:20:48 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck,

You are in luck.

Sony has implemented the Mynolta UIF in their cameras.  If you pick one, you
would immediately feel at home.

I too like the Silverschnozzed think that A1/2/200 are the best cameras ever
invented, but unlike him, I have recently discovered the A55.  You and I talked
about it recently, the one with the translucent mirror that allows
beamsplitting to EVF.

I am also on the market for a new camera.  I have considered many cameras,
including the Panasonyc from your other message and have been disappointed with
them.  Add to that list the Canyon 7D, the 60D and various Nykonz of the same
caliber.

Sensor technology aside, if you rank them on everything else, they stack in
reverse order, because essential features are implemented as an afterthought.

The most important feature in a camera for me is the ability to faithfully
display in real time what the exposure of the picture is, in a sense, you see
what the camera sees, you see the final result.  I do a lot of high-low key and
high contrast scenes and am amazed by the number of people who demand
histograms and other pretty much useless tools (compared to the one I am just
describing) when you can adjust the exposure in real time and see the results
also in real time.  None of the companies has this even remotely right.  Sony
has implemented it brilliantly.

You think AG goes on and on, and on about all the useful features of these
cameras that make them the greatest?  His three hour talk Joel complains about
is barely an introduction in my book...:)

BTW, Sony just announced the A77 a weathersealed camera AND weathersealed
lens...also light years ahead of the competition.  My gripe with Sony is this:
I think they should go all the way with the stupid viewfinder and eliminate it
once and forever for good.  Why peep like a pervert, when you can use both eyes
at once and most importantly, you can see the picture from any distance you
want.  I felt liberated after purchasing a TLR and looking with both eyes at
the ground glass, so "I aint going back".

Best

Boris

P.S.  I really have the suspicion that am not done with this topic yet...:)