Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter

Subject: Re: [OM] After the Sunset - An experiment in HDR with a spot meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:19:25 -0700
On 9/14/2011 1:08 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Yes, it will be interesting to see if the sensor improvements in the 7D
> and latest DRebel are enough to overcome the bigger pixels of the now
> long-in-the-tooth 5D Mk1.

Include the 60D in that list. All three use the same sensor and processor; the
7D adds a second processor to speed some
stuff up.

I've still been too busy with other important stuff, like travel, taking
photographs and keeping up with this list, and
unlikely, but possible, laziness, to do the careful comparisons. I can say a
couple of things for sure.

The 5D has cleaner pixel level detail - it has always stood out in that regard.
At lower ISOs and in bright parts of
images, though, the difference is quite small, and might disappear if down
sampled to 5D pixel count.

In dark shadows, even at base ISO, the 60D has artifacts I never see on the 5D.
They move up the histogram as the ISO
goes up. I think I've mentioned before that they seem to get worse with NR, but
it's more like the NR uncloaks them from
noise. They are similar in appearance, although not as bad, to those on
smallish sensor cameras like the G series. (Not
terribly unlike those in Piers' recent Haunted House with Hawk image, viewed
full screen, but not pixelated.)

Less certain is my sense that the 60D starts to surpass the 5D in high ISO
noise at maybe 1600.

I can say that IQ deficiencies relative to the 5D aren't enough for me to have
backed off on use of the 60D.

Moose