Re: [OM] Flood damaged photos, was: More Conversions

Subject: Re: [OM] Flood damaged photos, was: More Conversions
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:32:47 -0500
  But did commercial printers use RC
paper in the 60s, 70s and 80s?  Or was RC paper for the low volume
processor?

I worked in a commercial studio in the early seventies and in an industrial
photo department in the late seventies early eighties. Color paper was
earlier to convert to RC, due to the requirements of mass production
processing. I do know that there was high volume color paper in the fifties
that was ferrotyped. We used RC color paper in machine processors (I believe
that using color paper in tray processes is a fools errand, and I've seen no
evidence to the contrary) and "regular" paper ferrotyped on a drum drier for
B&W. To this day I believe that there is nothing more beautiful than a
ferrotyped B&W print. Air drying of F surfaces papers was originally the
province of the home bathroom printer.

Over the years, improvements were made to RC papers so that they look quite
acceptable. I have seen some quite good prints run through an Ilford drier
with the infrared heaters that enhance gloss. The only problem with RC paper
is that it doesn't accept Marshalls Photo Oils, and no, the spray doesn't
help that much.

Bill Pearce