Re: [OM] Flood damaged photos, was: More Conversions

Subject: Re: [OM] Flood damaged photos, was: More Conversions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:11:02 -0400
I couldn't find my 150 watt halogen bulbs and reflectors so I was left
with the heating pad.  I can report that it works very well in helping
release photos stuck to the waxed paper.  My heating pad is about 15x15
and has 3 power levels.  After setting it on the highest heat setting
and giving it several minutes to reach temperature I put 2-3 prints on
the pad and folded it over to enclose them.  A minute or two at high
heat allows peeling the waxed paper off.  In most cases it's still stuck
on fairly hard but it will peel off without taking the emulsion with it.
  In some cases (different papers) it just falls off by itself.

But except for matte B&W papers the waxed paper has left a thin film of
wax on some parts of the print.  Viewed straight on it's not very
noticeable but at an angle it's very evident.  My friends are unlikely
to care very much given that their most important photos have been
recovered in some state even if it's not the best.  I, on the other
hand, am a bit distressed that I didn't do a better job on all the prints.

I'm very disappointed in the waxed paper for most prints and am
surprised that this method was recommended by a conservator's web page.
  My friend who owns the prints discovered a few more that we hadn't
found before and tried to imitate my process.  But she didn't have any
waxed paper in the house and used paper towels on both sides of the
print.  I assumed that paper towels would stick very hard to a softened
emulsion and that was the reason for the waxed paper.  But she had no
such problem and the ones she did look better than mine.  However, the
prints she was working on were quite recent (not 40-50 years old) and
seemed to have a very high gloss finish.  A protective coat over the
emulsion perhaps?

Before discarding some of the #4 stuff still in the refrigerator I'm
going to do some experiments with prints on different papers and use
only paper towels.  We'll see if the paper towel is better or worse than
the waxed paper.

Chuck Norcutt