Re: [OM] More Conversions

Subject: Re: [OM] More Conversions
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:42:34 +1000
I wonder if the camera is doing some internal "Local Contrast
Enhancement" (LCE) that becomes more obvious when converted to black
and white. It's a pretty common tool, been around for a while, and it
may be one of those things they think worthwhile putting it to give
"pop" to every photo.

You can't do masks with Aperture, but what you can do apply an
effect/adjustment to an entire image, and then brush that effect away
with some adjustable brushes (or you can brush the effect in). It's
something I'm still playing with, because brushing drives me bonkers
(we're about to paint a few rooms in this place of ours, and I hate so
very much the "cutting-in" bit ;) ). Sometimes I find it easier to get
my Gimp on, rather than learn something. :)

Just to think a little sideways...while it looks like a halo, you're
close to pounding seas and ocean winds. It couldn't be that low sea
spray/mist just blowing up behind there and being caught in the light
by your longer exposure?

(A note...I have to be looking for your halo...your photo's halo, that
is...to notice it, but then I don't mind it in my own more egregious
examples of similar, so I'm perhaps not the best judge. Plus I've
started to kind-of drift into that one-eyed nature of being less a fan
of your work than a fanatic who will listen to no negative. ;) ).

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz
http://www.parknmeter.com