Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]

Subject: Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:57:19 -0400
CS5 has a new refine edge box that bears digging into. The edge detection and
smart radius box is damn near worth the price of the upgrade. Especially if you
do a lot of compositing. I only say "damn near" because the "content-aware
fill" _is_ worth the price of the upgrade. <g> I've beeb revisiting a few
images from a ways back, and I've found instances where content-aware fill has
done in a few seconds what I spent much more time carefully cloning.

Just curious, but I wonder how much of this halo thing is a non-issue when it
comes to prints? Obviously, the kind of halo surrounding the lighthouse in the
Pounding picture is a problem that really shouldn't be shrugged off if one
expects to sell expensive prints. It is noticeable in a print. That said, the
halos you focused on in the New Harbor picture are utterly undetectable in a
7x11 test print. Maybe if I took it up to 20x30, they might show, but I'm not
likely to do that. BTW, the halo that Marc and I were talking about is the
softer and wider glow above the roof and trees on the left side. Cellular-level
examination leads me to conclude that it's a result of light sky, dark
silhouette coupled with a 10-stop ND filter and a long exposure that blurred
cloud, salt spray and any other movements out there. I'll know more about that
when I do more ND work of that type.

--Bob