Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]

Subject: Re: [OM] Halo/border artifacts [was More Conversions]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:47:40 -0400
I would try using the sharpening rule I learned from Bruce Fraser's book
on sharpening.  He suggests first, of course, cropping and resizing the
image to the final pixel dimensions for the print.  To prepare for
sharpening he then displays the image at the ratio between screen ppi
and print dpi.  For example, if the screen has 90 ppi and the print will
be 300 dpi then display the image at 90/300 = 0.3 or 30%.  Then he says
sharpen until it looks very slightly crunchy to account for some
softening in the printing process.  I find it a very good rule of thumb
for sharpening and I suspect it would work in your case when trying to
evaluate the look of a final print after sharpening.

If you can't see the halo when the image is displayed at 30% (or
whatever your criterion is) I don't think you'll see it in the print
either.  Of course, you can further test that by blowing the image up to
20x30 and then cropping out a 4x6 or 5x7 test area that contains the
halo and print that small image.

Chuck Norcutt