[OM] Flood damaged photos - I was wrong about the waxed paper

Subject: [OM] Flood damaged photos - I was wrong about the waxed paper
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:17:04 -0400
All along I've been looking at glossy prints and thinking that pressing
them against waxed paper while drying has left random bits and streaks
of wax on the face.  Not so.  What I've apparently been seeing all along
and thought was wax (because it was shiny) was the original high gloss
surface of the print.  It only looks shiny next to most of the rest of
the surface which has lost all of its gloss.  Perhaps the warning about
needing to get the prints out of water within two days may relate to that.

I guess I should have figured this out earlier but I hadn't inspected
the surface closely enough.  It also explains why I haven't had any
problem with matte surfaces... there's no gloss to be dissolved off the
surface.

So, I was giving the waxed paper and the conservator who suggested it an
undeserved bad rap.  Maybe the right solution for the prints so affected
would be a solution that dissolves the remaining bits of gloss without
harming the rest of the emulsion... if there is such a thing.

Chuck Norcutt