Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Reno Air Races
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 23:36:31 -0500
I just read the latest reports from Reno, which now report 9 dead.  These
included a photo of the plane in descent which showed that the left elevator
was missing its trim tab.  From other reading, this seems to be an
anti-servo tab, which applies a trim force to the elevator, which positions
the elevator.  With this tab gone, the control force necessary to control
the aircraft would have likely been extremely large.
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA